Thursday 7 November 2013

Writing thoughts.

I've never really entertained the thought of keeping a journal before so this should be interesting. Why write your thoughts down? I don't think I'd ever re-read them so have never been attracted to the prospect prior to receiving this task.

I naturally went straight for a notepad and paper because that's what seemed comfortable. I reasoned that I need it handy throughout the day and as I travel from place to place it would be more convenient than carrying my laptop around. If I ever felt the need to jot something down flicking a notepad open is quicker that firing up the laptop. For a fraction of a second I considered recording thoughts via audio but I'd probably get sick of my own voice, be continuously monotone and think what I've said absolutely pointless! The time may arrive when it's necessary to record a thought and it's an easy option now we have smart phones. However, you can't upload it to a notepad so it does cause a problem. It appears that documenting your thoughts in a variety of ways using a variety of techniques is what's called for so I'm toying with the idea of using whichever method that I deem suitable for my needs.

What exactly do you document? Family issues? Work related things? Anything? I began like a diary of events, sometimes elaborating but felt this was wrong as it needed to be much more specific. My thoughts are dominated by the way I emotionally challenge and respond to events. If I like or agree with something, why do I? Just because I do doesn't mean all society will.  We are being asked to question everything. To go beyond...ask that extra question of yourself. When I looked back at my journal's first week there was no pattern or theme to my thoughts. They were all random and in a wide array of subjects. Thoughts on a friend or on someones behaviour at training. Are we looking for a theme? A pattern of behaviour? I feel, when exploring my thoughts, that if you question everything there will be no end....there's always another question.

I'm enjoying being reflective but am failing to see where this will lead me. Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm hoping all will become clear!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leon

    I think the difficulty is if you are good at what you do, you have already developed a way to reflect but maybe don't realise it yet. I know that I always talk everything through, so by the time I've come to write in my diary I have already reflected and come up with a plan and my diary at times feels redundant. I also do a lot of 'reflection in action'. Where it is good, is in looking back and remembering - for example 'how did I handle that last time?', 'What were the pros and cons the last time I tried this?' 'How was I feeling about this choreography a month ago?'.

    I hope this helps?

    Take care

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,

    You're right of course. Having been a pro dancer etc I think you're brought up in a hyper critical field. You are always being pulled apart and given corrections. After a while and part of being a professional is learning to be critical of ones self. This is how we improve, by learning from our mistakes and turning weaknesses into strengths. That style of thinking spreads into all aspects of ones life. I've always been critical of myself because of my desire to succeed so reflection was an absolute necessity.

    What I'm having issues with is the rational side of things. I find my emotions play a huge part in the manner of my reflection when dealing with certain issues so taking them out of the equation and dealing only with the facts makes it not personal to me. I understand that this is how we can alter our rational thought and change our way of thinking but the way I think is what makes me...well...me!

    Thanks

    Leon

    ReplyDelete